Factors that Influence Your Dental Implants Timeline
To determine your dental implants timeline, our team in Amarillo, TX, can take into account any preparatory procedures you require in addition to the type and material of the restoration you choose. As each dental implants treatment is highly individualized, the timeline will vary per patient. Typically, without any preparatory procedures, patients can expect a three to six month treatment period. However, additional procedures can add several months to treatment time. Dr. Eddy Sauer Jr., our implant placement specialist, and Dr. Nathaniel Avirett, our implant restoration specialist, can review your oral health, medical history, and the structure of your smile to outline your treatment.
Based on your unique needs, Dr. Sauer and Dr. Avirett can take several factors into consideration when determining the length of treatment. As we value accuracy and precision, we can begin by thoroughly examining your smile during your consultation. With the help of our cone beam computed tomography (CT) scanner and digital x-rays, we can estimate your treatment timeline.
Procedures such as tooth extraction, bone grafting, or a sinus lift are sometimes necessary for implant treatment to be successful. If you need a preparatory procedure before receiving dental implants, you will have to wait until your jawbone, gums, and sinuses have healed before undergoing implant treatment. The recovery period after a bone graft or sinus lift varies, based on the type of surgery required. In general, patients can expect the a timeline that includes:
- A two-week waiting period after tooth extraction.
- A three to six month healing period after a bone graft.
In some cases, your doctor may be able to perform tooth extraction, a lateral sinus lift, and All-on-4® implant placement in a single visit. We can review your unique dental needs to determine if you are eligible for treatment.
With the help of our cone beam computed tomography (CT) scanner and digital x-rays, we can estimate your treatment timeline.
Type of Restoration
Your dental implants timeline may also be affected by the type of restoration you choose and its material. While we use screw-retained Straumann® implants, we offer various restorations to meet our patients needs, including:
- For patients who require a single crown, we offer both traditional and same-day restorations made of IPS e.max® and IPS Empress® ceramic. Your eligibility for same-day treatment may depend upon the location of the tooth that needs replacement. For premolars, we can place implants immediately, but we must wait two to three months before placing your crown. For molars, we can perform necessary extractions, which require typically a four month healing time, before we can place implants. After your gums heal, we can affix your final crown.
- Dental bridges have an approximate one-month turnaround time. After taking impressions of your smile, we can send all necessary information to our trusted laboratory in Kansas City, MO, for where your bridge will be fabricated.
- Patients who need a full denture have the option of All-on-4 restorations made of acrylic, or a titanium bar fused to acrylic. In some cases, we can restore dentures on the same day as treatment.
All versions of implant surgery are computer-guided by our CEREC system for higher accuracy and reduced recovery time. In addition, we offer several sedation options, including nitrous oxide and oral sedatives to maximize your comfort.
At Shemen Dental Group, we take a comprehensive approach to care, and can keep you fully informed of your options. We can also review your goals and answer any questions, so you know what to expect throughout the process. To speak to one of our team members or to learn more about dental implant services and timelines, please call us at (806) 358-2472 or contact us online.
"The staff at Shemen Dental Group treat you like part of the family. Every visit has been positive, and everyone goes out of their way to make you feel valued and comfortable."Randy D.