Porcelain Veneers Replacement
By Edward Sauer on February 18, 2019
If you have problems with chipped teeth, tooth discoloration, gaps, and smile asymmetry, Dr. Eddy Sauer and Dr. Nathaniel Avirett can help. While these Amarillo, TX dentists offer many procedures, they may simply recommend porcelain veneers, a versatile cosmetic dentistry option that's perfect for smile makeovers.
While porcelain veneers are durable and effective, they will eventually need to be replaced. The team at Shemen Dental Group would like to consider the lifespan of porcelain veneers and what happens when they need to be replaced.
How Long Do Porcelain Veneers Last?
An average set of porcelain veneers will last about 10 years. This assumes that the patient has taken good care of their veneers and they haven’t experienced any major trauma to the mouth or dental health problems. After about 10 years, the porcelain veneers will need to be changed in order to maintain a beautiful-looking smile.
Reasons for Porcelain Veneer Replacement
Some of the most common reasons for porcelain veneer replacement include:
- Tooth Fractures - If you have a chipped or cracked tooth with a veneer, the veneer will need to be removed in order to fix the fractured tooth structure.
- Cavities and Acidic Erosion - While veneers are resistant to tooth decay and erosion, the underlying tooth structure could be affected. Removal of the veneer will be necessary to restore the affected tooth structure.
- Root Canal Infection - If your tooth has become infected, the veneer will need to be removed for endodontic therapy to be performed.
- Staining of the Underlying Tooth - The structure beneath a tooth veneer could still become stained and affect smile aesthetic. Treating the discoloration will require the removal and replacement of the veneer.
- Normal Wear and Tear - Your veneers are durable, but they can still get worn down from normal biting and chewing. Replacement will be required to improve smile aesthetics.
The Process for Replacing Porcelain Veneers
The process for replacing a porcelain veneer is much like the process for the initial placement of a veneer. The old veneer is carefully removed from the tooth, with remaining dental adhesive taken off. The tooth may require another slight bit of prep. Once that is completed, an impression is taken of the tooth so that a new veneer can be custom created. That veneer is then adhered over the tooth.
The Results of Porcelain Veneer Replacement
When the replacement veneer is in place, your smile will look brand new. You should be able to notice a major difference between the older veneer and this newer one.
How to Extend the Life of Your Porcelain Veneers
If you want to keep your porcelain veneers looking great for as long as possible, consider the following tips:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day (ideally after every meal)
- Floss your teeth at least once a day (ideally after every meal)
- Avoid smoking and the use of tobacco products
- Wear face and mouth protection when applicable
- Visit your dentist twice a year for regular checkups
Learn More About Porcelain Veneers
For more information about porcelain veneers and your many other options for achieving a total smile makeover, be sure to contact our experienced cosmetic and restorative dentists. The team at Shemen Dental Group is here to help. You can reach our practice by phone at (806) 358-2472.
Related to This
"The staff at Shemen Dental Group treat you like part of the family. Every visit has been positive, and everyone goes out of their way to make you feel valued and comfortable."Randy D.